
Colonel Pascal Tigri, identified as the leader of the mutiny that briefly seized Benin Republic’s national television station on Sunday, is reportedly on the run, according to Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu. Onanuga shared the update on his X account on Sunday.
Authorities in Benin have arrested several other members of the group after the country’s defence and security forces successfully thwarted the attempted coup.
Benin’s Interior Minister, Alassane Seidou, later addressed the nation, confirming that the mutiny had been contained.
“Early on Sunday morning, 7 December 2025, a small group of soldiers launched a mutiny aimed at destabilising the state and its institutions,” Seidou said. “Faced with this situation, the Beninese armed forces and their leadership, true to their oath, remained committed to the republic. Their response allowed them to retain control and foil the attempt. The government therefore urges the population to go about their activities as normal.”
The failed coup triggered heightened security measures across Cotonou, but loyal forces quickly regained control of key state institutions.
In another statement attributed to President Ahmed Tinubu and conveyed by Onanuga, the Nigerian presidency said the National Guard had regained control of strategic locations, including surrounding the television station where the mutineers were holed up.
“Negotiations are currently ongoing with the group inside the station,” the statement added. “Authorities say the situation is under control, with efforts underway to fully restore order and stability.”


Leave a Reply