Family Demands Justice as Children Become Homeless After Illegal Sale of Late Father’s Property in Nasarawa

Three children of a senior correctional officer who was kidnapped and killed have been rendered homeless after their uncle and a neighbour allegedly conspired to illegally sell their late father’s house, Reporters has learnt.

The case involves Miss Tinyang Blessing Matthias and her siblings, whose story reflects repeated tragedy, exploitation, and betrayal by people who should have protected them.

According to a family member who spoke on Sunday, Blessing’s life has been marked by loss and hardship. She lost her mother in 2018. Barely a year later, in February 2019, their father went missing along the Takum–Katsina Ala road. Despite years of frantic searching, he never returned and was eventually declared dead.

The late Mr. Matthias, a senior officer at the Nigeria Correctional Service—holding a rank equivalent to a Colonel—was transferred from Talabah to Lafia before his abduction. Following his disappearance, the Nigeria Prison Service raised ransom funds and appointed the children’s uncle, Mr. Williams Hosea, to negotiate with the kidnappers, but no progress was made. Meanwhile, the children struggled to survive, and the extended family allegedly provided no support.

“To survive, we sold household items—plates, television, water tanks—just to keep the children going,” a relative said.

Secret Sale of the Family House

Unbeknownst to the children, their uncle and neighbour had already begun making plans to dispose of their father’s house.

“None of us—not even one of the children—was informed about the sale. They didn’t receive a single naira,” a family source said.

The buyer, Mr. Mike Galadima, was their neighbour who reportedly knew their parents well and was fully aware the children had become orphans. Despite this, he allegedly purchased the house in 2022, taking advantage of the family’s vulnerability.

To facilitate the sale, the family approached a court to declare the missing officer dead—as legally required after seven years. Once the order was granted, the house was placed on the market. Ironically, Galadima initially wrote “Not for Sale” on the wall to appear protective but later pressured the family and bought the property himself.

The children were still living in the house when they were informed it had been sold to the same neighbour who had pretended to safeguard it. He soon ordered them to vacate, leaving them homeless.

Public Attention After A Separate Trauma

Blessing’s story only gained national attention after a different traumatic incident, when a lecturer stripped her naked and the video went viral. As human rights groups intervened, questions about her background prompted her to reveal the truth about her family’s ordeal and the sale of their home.

Following public outcry, Galadima, Williams, and several female relatives were arrested last year. At the police station, they reportedly signed an undertaking agreeing to forfeit the property and relinquish all claims to it.

However, the relief was short-lived.

Court Order, Death Concealed, and Fresh Injuries

When the children attempted to return to the house, they found that Galadima had already added three self-contained rooms to the compound. He claimed he borrowed money to buy and renovate the house and warned them not to come back.

He then took the matter to court—and obtained an order in his favour. Crucially, during the trial, the primary defendant, Mr. Williams, had already died. But Galadima allegedly told the court that Williams was avoiding appearances, failing to disclose that he had passed away in February.

Despite this, the court granted Galadima possession. When authorities attempted to enforce the judgment last week, the children were reportedly beaten and injured. Legal experts note that a judgment issued against a deceased defendant may be invalid.

Children Appeal for Justice and Support

The children are now appealing to the public, legal authorities, and the government, insisting their father’s property was illegally sold.

“You cannot sell someone’s house just because they’re declared missing. Nobody was feeding these children, yet their home was stolen from them,” a supporter said.

The family also emphasized their desperate need for humanitarian assistance.

“All three girls are now 18 years old. One has gained admission into school but has no sponsor. They are homeless and currently staying in a pastor’s house,” a relative said.

In a shocking revelation, family members claim that Williams, before his death, admitted he acted under pressure from Galadima. The neighbour reportedly confessed to buying the house for ₦5 million.

The children also remember their father’s warnings: “Before Mr. Matthias left, he told his daughter that he was not on good terms with Mr. Mike.”

The family is urging authorities to reopen the case, nullify the judgment made against a deceased person, and restore the property to the rightful heirs—three children who have already lost everything.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *